Truth matters. Words matter. Without meaning, words are pointless.
When you hear “school shooting”, yesterday is what comes to mind. And yesterday was terrible. Seventeen dead. And it took just minutes for the media to start talking about ways to prevent this, both sides having their piece, their take. Before the bodies are even buried, before most parents even knew their kid was one of the dead ones, we are calling half the country evil for supporting gun rights.
The statistic being quoted by many last night and this morning is that in 2018, a year that we are only some forty days into, has seen eighteen school shootings, referring to the reporting from a group called Everytown for Gun Safety. That is truly an appalling number. 18 school shootings. When you hear “school shooting”, yesterday is what comes to mind. And yesterday was terrible. Seventeen dead. But yesterday is not what Everytown is calling a school shooting. They are counting all shootings at schools or involving schools. Truth matters. Words matter. Without meaning, words are pointless.
So what does this reporting from Everytown mean? Eight of those eighteen resulted in no injuries or fatalities. Two were suicides, one in the parking lot and one in the bathroom at a school. One was a gun fired unintentionally, no one hurt. Of these eighteen incidents, three people were killed— not including the two suicides— and roughly 30-35 were injured, according to The Daily Wire.
We all wish that yesterday was one bad day out of a million good days. We all wish we had a billboard that counted the days from the last school shooting and it had been at 30 years. But when “we include suicides, accidental discharges, purposeful shootings without injuries, and purposeful shootings without only ‘superficial’ wounds” as school shootings on par with what happened yesterday our words lose meaning. We become numb. Yesterday was just another school shooting. That was the new normal. But it isn’t. It isn’t the new normal.
Truth matters. Words matter. I hope that you agree.
After years of every terrorist act being used to remind us that we need more gun control, Tim Kaine followed the script earlier this week. However, it wasn’t a gun that the attacker used, but a knife and a car. Let’s require people register their knives and highly restrict access to cars and see if that helps.
CNN calls CDC chicken for not addressing "gun violence", missing that they very much do address it. But of gun-related deaths, homicides make up ~33% and suicides make up ~63%. So ~96% of gun-related deaths are intentional. Sorry, but you aren't going to stop someone intent on killing someone else or themselves. Of the other ~4% of gun-related deaths, ~1.5% are accidental discharge and ~1% lacked a proven intent.
The number of accidental gun deaths has been on the decline for a century and now represents less than 1% of unintentional deaths.
So why is the CDC so chicken to talk about gun violence? Because outside of intentional gun deaths and injuries, there isn't much to talk about. But even with all gun-related deaths totaled, it is only ~6% of the number of deaths caused by tobacco, according to CDC studies released in April of 2015. So the CDC has other priorities, CNN. Namely, those responsible for more deaths in America. Because while 99.99999% of Americans know that putting a gun in their mouth can lead to death, apparently many still don’t care about tobacco doing the same.